“Nom nom nom song” by Parry Grip
“Invasion of the Gabber Robots” by The Laziest Men on Mars
“The Stroller” by Jaill (it’s a free download)
“Innundir Skinni” by Olof Arnalds (it’s a free download)
“idontknowwhyyoubother” by CYMBALS (it’s a free download)
“Swansong” (ft. kegan hollister) by Headless Horseman
The Time Tunnel:
- The Soviet Premier Mikhail Gorbachev began the program of economic restructuring known as perestroika in this year
- Sci-Fi comedy series Red Dwarf premieres on BBC Two, took 5 series until it got shit.
- In jazz mag news, the US Supreme Court sided with Hustler magazine in overturning a decision to award Evabgelist Jerry Falwell $200,000 for defamation.
- The SAS fatally shot 3 unarmed IRA members in Gibraltar.
- Bertolucci’s The Last Emperor won nine Oscars, but was a bit dull — with kites.
- The Piper Alpha oil platform in the North Sea was destroyed by explosions and fires, this year — killing 167.
- Benazir Bhutto was sworn in as Prime Minister of Pakistan, becoming the first woman to head the government of an Islam-dominated state.
- Lester Piggott was stripped of his OBE following his jailing for tax irregularities.
- Born in this year: Umberella-ella-ella singer Rihanna, English supermodel Lily Cole, and Japanese baseball player Hayato Sakamoto
- Passing away in this year were jazz trumpeter Chet Baker, actor Roy Kinnear, and Pretty Woman Roy Orbison
- The big news of 1988 was the US presidential election. George Bush was elected, beating Michael Dukakis.
But what was the year?
“Everyday Is Like Sunday” by Morrissey (1988)
“Homeless” (Canblaster Remix) by Style of Eye & Slagsmalsklubben (it’s a free download)
“Seed, Crop, Harvest” by Prinzhorn Dance School
“Garden (Jesse Rose Remix Radio Edit)” by TEED (it’s a free download)
“Demons (Edit)” by South Central (it’s a free download)
“Dance or Die” (Ft. Saul Williams) by Janelle Monae
“030” by The Good The Bad (it’s a free download)
Video not for kids:
New To Me: “Where Can I Go But To The Lord” by J.D. Sumner & The Stamps
Tediously Topical Twitter Tag Time: “Tangled up in *Blue Peter*” by Bob Dylan
“Im going to eat your brains and gain your knowledge” by Broken Science (it’s a free download)
“Paradise Circus” by The Lilac Time