I’ll be attempting to make a sock monkey live on the radio this week, and you can make one too! Not only that, but your creation could star in the video for Brummie band Kate Goes‘s debut single, All We Wanna Do is OH.
They’ve made an instructional video and everything:
You will need:
- 2 x socks (they don’t have to be a matching pair, ankle socks are too short tho)
- needle and thread
- an awake!
I’ve watched the video through a couple of times now and I recommend you do the same if you’re going to join in. I’ve scribbled down some reminder points for myself, so thought I’d share them:
Step 1 – Body and legs
- Take the first sock and flatten it out.
- Cut a line (through both sides of the sock) from the open ankle part down to the heel.
- Turn the sock inside out and cut a hole where the mouth will be.
- Sew up the legs.
- Turn the sock back the right way again by pulling it through the mouth hole.
- Stuff the sock monkey’s legs and body.
- Sew up the mouth hole.
Step 2 – Mouth, arms, tail, ears and eyes
- Take the second sock and cut out the heel to make the mouth.
- To make tail, cut a strip right down the whole length of the front of the sock from ankle to toe, sew it and stuff it (use a pencil to push stuffing to end of tail, small pieces at a time).
- Make the arms from the remaining material in the top half of the sock.
- Cut ears out of the remaining material.
- Sew body parts onto the monkey.
- Sew on buttons for eyes
Here’s the diagram from the video that shows which sock parts make which monkey parts:
Eh, voila (hopefully).
Then send your monkey off to Kate Goes to star in their video (address in the instructional video).
“Nom nom nom song” – ParryGrip
“Dig, Lazarus, Dig” by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
“See Fernando” by Jenny Lewis
“Bbbbbounce” by Blackout Crew
“So Bored” by Wavves
“Do The Joy” by Air (free download)
THE TIME TUNNEL:
- A Second Cod War broke out between Iceland and the UK
- The Army killed 13 people in Northern Ireland, on what became known as “Bloody Sunday”.
- The Godfather was released
- It was the year of the Watergate scandal, 5 White House staff were arrested for breaking into the Democratic Party offices
- The Price Is Right premiered on American TV
- Denmark joined the EC
- The first female FBI agents started work
- Born in this year: baywatch star Nicole Eggert, boxer Joe Calzaghe, and Felix da Housecat, the electroclash DJ and producer.
- This year we said goodbaye to Dutch artist M. C. Escher, the film producer J. Arthur Rank, actress Margaret Rutherford, and Yakov Springer the famous Israeli weightlifting judge
- Atari released the videogame Pong.
- It was a big year for the Worship of Norse gods as it was officially sanctioned in Iceland.
- Kurt Waldheim became Secretary General of the UN.
- Eleven Israeli athletes were murdered by terrorist group Black September in the Munich Massacre at the 1972 Olympics
“Mouldy old dough” by Lieutenant Pigeon – 1972
“Mirador” by Efterklang
“Lord Gold Throneroom” by Horse The Band
“Pyrotechnician” by Sleeper
“Johnny Come Home” by JEPPE
“In The Army Now” by Status Quo
“Man on the Box” by Trost (free download)
“Treat Me Like Your Mother” by The Dead Weather
Gavin’s Northern Soul Experience:
“There’s A Ghost In My House” by R. Dean Taylor
“Lobster Quadrille” by We Are Enfant Terrible
“Fuzzy” by Grant Lee Buffalo
“Wondrous Place” by Billy Fury
“Hold My Hand (Very Tightly)” by Whistlin’ Rick Wilson
“She’s A Mod” by Ray Columbus & The Invaders
“Paradise Circus” by The Lilac Time
“Nom nom nom song” – ParryGrip
“Theme From Sparta FC #2” by The Fall
“When Saturday Comes” by The Undertones
“The Love Cats” by Tricky
“Harlot” by Felix da Housecat
“Ooh Ahh Cantona” by 1300 Drums featuring the Unjustified Ancients of MU
“Oei Oei Oei (Dat Was Me Weer een Loei)” by Johan Cruyff
“Hello Meow” by Squarepusher
“The Liquidator” by Harry Johnson & The All Stars
“Gloom Doom Buttercups” by Kittens Ablaze (free download)
“Sorted for Clough” by Give Us A Kiss
“The Footie Song” By Adam & Joe
“Cat Flushing A Toilet” by Parry Gripp
“Professional Distortion” by Miss Kittin
“Hello Kitty Kat” by Smashing Pumpkins
Gavin’s Northern Soul Experience: “Agent Double-O Soul” by Edwin Starr
“The Robbins Aren’t Bobbins” by Frank Sidebottom
“Munich Air Disaster 1958” by Morrissey
“Sweet Water” by Jeff Astle
“Wildcat!” by Be Your Own Pet
“This Time (We’ll Get It Right)” by England 1982 World Cup Squad